Pages

Monday, November 30, 2015

Pregnancy and Breastfeeding In Spite of Hormonal Challenges

"Challenges are what make life interesting, and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful" ~Joshua J. Marine

Be inspired by Amazing Blossom Mom, Jada Wright-Greene, who shares her journey of breastfeeding over 7 years, with 3 children. 

Becoming a mother was one of the most important things to me. Soon after being married, I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) which causes irregular ovulation. Through the power of God, faith and prayer I became pregnant and I instantly knew I wanted to do everything possible to give my precious jewel the best start in life. 


As any new mother I began to read, ask questions, read and ask even more questions about what to do. You always hear that there is no handbook, but there are guide books. I quickly learned about breastfeeding and all of the benefits for mother and baby

My mother did not breastfeed nor did her mother, so at least two generations before me thought I was a little “strange” for deciding to breastfeed.  Despite their thoughts, I was determined to give my baby the best nutritional start.

On cold and frigid November day in 2008 she arrived and of course life turned upside down in a good way for my husband and I. Immediately after my delivery and in recovery, I asked the nurse, can you please help me breastfeed my baby, she complied, and my baby girl latched. That began my journey into the world of breastfeeding for my daughter and later with my two other children.  

I nursed for four months with my oldest child, for six months for my second child, and it has been more than a year with my youngest child. Each experience has been quite different.



I don’t want to share all of my tips because I know you have read them all by now, but I want to share my feelings.  I enjoyed every moment of this journey, the late nights, the every two hours, the pain (yes I said even the pain) all of it.  I was able to bond with my children and have a connection that no one can understand unless you decide to share the liquid gold” to your children.  

The act of giving nourishment and the natural production of milk is remarkable. Think about it; your body produces milk that is made specifically for your child at their young age.  When I reflect back on the way God designed us as mothers, he purposely made us to provide not only food, but to be bonded with our children through the act of breastfeeding.  

Understand, I had a lot of days, where I was tired, exhausted and sleep deprived but the comfort in knowing that my angels were getting exactly what they needed motivated me.  I never imagined I would breastfeed and certainly not for an entire year, when I recall my early thoughts of being a mother. But those moments where you see your baby look into your face and hold you so close knowing that you are their mommy, their comforter, and their provider, are absolutely priceless. 

As I write this my journey in breastfeeding has ended. I can truly say I miss it at times, but I know that I gave my children a great start in life.

A Note From Blossom
PCOS is the most common endocrine disorder among women between the ages of 18 and 44. It affects approximately 5% to 10% of this age group. It is one of the leading causes of poor fertility. Because it is related to hormone production and hormones affect milk production, many women with PCIS have challenges establishing or maintaining a milk supply. However, Jada's story is evidence that many mothers are able to overcome these PCOS related challenges. 
For additional support with PCOS, visit these sites. 



Jada Wright-Greene is a wife, mother, an avid museum activist, author, and a lover of history.  She has a passion for revitalizing and bringing awareness to the African-American museum culture with a goal of diversifying the museum field, primarily through Heritage Salon MagazineJada’s most important and valued roles in life has become being a wife and mother. She is the wife of Darryl and the mother of two daughters and one son. Through her journey of motherhood she has become a strong supporter of breastfeeding and assisting other mothers in their journey.  She believes in supporting and ministering to new mothers. She is driven in the area of her work, but motivated in her role as mother and wife. Jada and her family resides in the Dallas, Texas area.

No comments:

Post a Comment