Pages

Saturday, September 5, 2015

When Breastfeeding Moms Receive Unexpected Support

My individual circle of breastfeeding support included my mother, two cousins, and a few friends who were advocates, but none of them lived near me. Early in my journey, I knew that I would have to reach out to breastfeeding moms in my local community. I joined our local La Leche League, as well as the Facebook group for breastfeeding moms in our area. These two groups, and several others along the way, have provided tremendous support for me, as well as, countless other moms throughout the world. 


Mother's rely on these (mostly private) breastfeeding groups for help with getting prepared, getting started, increasing milk supply, and alleviating nipple soreness. We vent about crazy in-laws, narrow-minded friends, and husbands who are anxious about putting the "fun bags" back to their proper use. We share success stories of husbands who finally get it, BOGO nursing bras, and employers who understand what it takes for a nursing mom to return to work. We intentionally go to these pages for support. We know that's it's available any time of the day or night... seriously, we NEVER sleep. It's so comforting and empowering to know that we can go to these virtual spaces to receive breastfeeding support. It's extra special when support comes from unexpected people, at unexpected times, and in unexpected ways. Last night, after putting my nursing tot back to sleep, I was making my nightly support group rounds to see who I could encourage, celebrate, or console, when I encountered a post that warmed my heart.


Not even 20 minutes later, I saw this one!


Two breastfeeding moms, in the same online support group, in the same town, whose paths may have crossed in posts before... or may not have. Either way, they are sure never to forget one another after this meeting. Without making even one verbal exchange about breastfeeding, without either one being topless, and without any big fuss about when or where to feed the baby, these two star-crossed nursing mamas supported each other with their generosity of word and deed. This is how we normalize breastfeeding. I hope that they become total BFFs now! Breastfeeding Friends Forever! 

In what unexpected ways have you been supported along your breastfeeding or parenting journey?

Blossom Mom
Blossom Health and Maternal Wellness


No comments:

Post a Comment